Monday, October 25, 2010

Interop, New York - Software Show Now

I hadn’t been to Interop since 2003 and I’d never been to the New York show so I decided this year I would give it a shot. I was woefully disappointed. I was expecting to see great product demonstrations from all the top equipment manufacturers, but instead received inquiries for meetings from software vendors who didn’t even bother to see that I cover data centers, optical components, structured cabling and interconnects.

The exhibit hall only had eight rows. Cisco was there, but half of its booth was taken up by its channel partners and the other half had virtual demos, not actual equipment running. Brocade was there, but had a much smaller booth and pretty much legacy equipment on a tabletop display. Most telling of course were the companies that didn’t participate in the exhibition – Extreme Networks and IBM to name just two.

Some of the programming was interesting, though, and maybe made it worth the travel costs. I sat in on the second day of the Enterprise Cloud Summit so actually got to meet some of the gurus in the industry of cloud computing. I also sat in on the “Evaluating New Data Center LAN Architectures” technical session which was a panel of equipment manufacturers that responded to an RFI from Boston Scientific for a data center expansion project. Interesting to note is that while Cisco was asked to respond, it did not. The panel consisted of Alcatel-Lucent, Extreme Networks, Force10 and Hewlett Packard. It is also interesting to note that the vendors responded with different architectures – some including top-of-rack solutions and others with end-of-row.

All-in-all, I think my time would have been better spent staying home and working on my optical components research…

No comments:

Post a Comment