Monday, September 27, 2010

Transitioning Your Data Center from Copper to Fiber

Companies like Corning like to tell data center managers that with the advent of 10G, they should be transitioning their network from mostly copper connections to all fiber-optic. But, as many of you probably know, this is easier said than done. There are many things to consider:
  1. How much more is it going to cost me to install fiber instead of copper?
  2. Do I change my network architecture to ToR in order to facilitate using more fiber? What are the down sides of this?
  3. Is it really cost-effective to go all-optical?
  4. What is my ROI if I do go all-optical?
  5. Will it really help my power and cooling overload if I go all-optical?
It is very difficult to get to specific answers for a particular data center because each one is different. And guidelines from industry vendors may be skewed based on what they are trying to sell you. OFC/NFOEC management has recognized this and asked me to teach a new short course for their 2011 conference – Data Center Cabling – Transitioning from Copper to Fiber will be part of the special symposium Meeting the Computercom Challenge: Components and Architectures for Computational Systems and Data Centers. I invite your ideas on specifics you would like to see covered in this new short course.

 

1 comment:

  1. As you mentioned, power savings will be one factor to consider, though it will be highly dependent upon the configuration of the data center, including heating/cooling systems design, server physical configuration (Hot aisle/Cold aisle, open flow, air or water cooling, etc.)

    I would like to think fiber helps future-proof any system as fiber inherently has better bandwidth than copper under most conditions.

    One other minor factor: the actual cost of copper. As worldwide copper prices fluctuate, cable costs do as well. Unfortunately the price trend has been upward while fiber costs trends have been downward. I have to think the actual amount of copper and fiber used in each datacenter will be a deciding factor.

    ReplyDelete